Tuesday 28 April 2020

ToothAche in the Morning


Some days are more unique than others.  The day may start a little different. In some cases I remember my dreams and am able to relive some extraordinary moments, and in other cases I am woken up by pain.  I prefer not the wake up to the later, but there have indeed been moments where my dental hygiene simply gave me a uniquely awful morning.  It is the dull pain that drives you into small furry.  It is the throbbing that comes when you least expect it and unfortunately you feel helpless to stop it.  Dental pain or pain in your teeth is a very debilitating kind of injury.  This is because there is little available to self cure, so we are indeed forced to see a dentist. 


The first time I experienced tooth pain I was still in high school.  I up until that point had a fantastic record for dental health. The only time I had even needed dental work was when my wisdom teeth came in.  For those I did indeed need them to be removed.  But the morning a felt tooth pain came during an adventure.  I was currently in the boundary waters of Canada miles and miles away from the nearest cell phone or hint of civilization.  The most secluded area I had ever been to up until that point and I was in pain. 

I do believe that I was experiencing malnutrition for the first time.  The excursion I was on had left me out in the wilderness eating mostly fish for 2 weeks.  Our other rations had been eliminated during a tornado which had swept through our path and destroyed incredible amounts of land and a good majority of our gear.  The tooth ache came as a lack of nutrition I do believe and it was intense.  Not having the proper tool or vitamins to solve the problem was most frustrating.


Several days in I believed my teeth were in big trouble for they were bothering me constantly. I had a toothbrush and paste but it was simply doing nothing to prevent the pain.  As things were hard all around, I mostly brushed off the pain and continued through our long journey back to civilization.  A week later I was able to eat normal food again and take some vitamin supplements and what do you know my teeth felt better.  My mouth was feeling great and by the time I made it home I had forgotten the pain.  So when out traveling and your diet is about to make a major change, take some vitamin supplements with you to make sure your health will be maintained.

No comments:

Post a Comment